I'm writing my final thesis on the emerging church, my aim is to give most weight to their practical ecclesiology. I would highly appreciate any comments on my work and my thoughts. Thanks!

Friday, August 11, 2006

1.3 Influences

1.3 Influences

Many of the ideas of the Emerging Church are inspired by a huge variety of writers. The most prevalent are New Testament scholar N.T. Wright, missiologist Lesslie Newbigin and theologian Stanley Grenz.[1]
N.T. Wright’s contribution exists mainly in his ideas on eschatology, and the gospel of the kingdom, which will be dealt with in chapter three. Newbigin’s books Proper Confidence[2] and The Gospel in a Pluralist Society[3] are very influential in Emerging circles. He writes a lot about faith, truth and this epistemology. His ideas will be further explored in chapter two. Stanley Grenz (died March 2005) was well known for his ideas on a communitarian triune God and how this affects Christian communities.

[1] Gibbs and Bolger also mention John Howard Yoder and David Bosch, however, I will restrict myself to the biggest influences. (Eddie Gibbs, Ryan K. Bolger, Emerging Churches, p.49)
[2] L. Newbigin, Proper Confidence, Faith, Doubt and Certainty in Christian Discipleship (Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1995)
[3] L. Newbigin, The Gospel in a Pluralist Society, (Grand Rapids, Michigan, 1989)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home