I'm writing my final thesis on the emerging church, my aim is to give most weight to their practical ecclesiology. I would highly appreciate any comments on my work and my thoughts. Thanks!

Monday, August 14, 2006

bookreview "An Emergent Theology for Emerging Churches" 1

I'm currently working on my third chapter (second chapter will soon be online) in which I'm trying to deal with theology and the bible in emerging churches. I think putting it that way makes sure I leave room for the diversity within emerging churches.

I bought Ray S. Anderson's book An Emergent Theology for Emerging Churches, and the next few days I will try to summarize and review the book (who am I? but it will just help me to understand the book, so even if no one ever reads this... =)

In the preface Anderson writes that he doesn't intend to write about postmodernity, and only partially about emerging churches.

Troughout the book he uses the illustration of Jerusalem (being the dogmatic, religious centre of first century Christianity) in contrast with Antioch (the emerging church, missional, filled with the Spirit, and the place where an emergent theology was born, mainly developed by Paul troughout his ministry). This contrast is 'for the purpose of sharpening the focus on the content and direction of the emergent theology uniquely envisioned and proclaimed by the apostle Paul.'

Answering the question 'what is an emerging theology' he mentiones all the ec's key-words that I've read somuch about the last few months: messianic, missional, revelational, reformational, kingdom coming, kingdom living, eschatological and incarnational. His short description under eschatological didn't sound quite as immanent as N.T. Wright's view though? I'm sure we'll readmore about that later on.

Quite striking I found this statement: 'Emerging churches are a Bible-teaching and a Bible-reading community.' I haven't found many books by ec writers and thinkers that 'teach the Bible' (there are some exceptions).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home