I'm writing my final thesis on the emerging church, my aim is to give most weight to their practical ecclesiology. I would highly appreciate any comments on my work and my thoughts. Thanks!

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

the right gospel...?

After having spent a considerable amount of time reading the discussion between Scott Mcknight and Spencer Burk (http://www.jesuscreed.org/?p=1319 --> 114 comments!!) and all those who thought they had something to say, I do think there's a few things that haven't been said.
I'm writing on theology within the emerging church (quite a difficult chapter... some claim there is no such thing, some write a book an emerging theology for emerging churches...can't be more obvious), and I wonder how sharp i can make the distinction between the group of universalists (Spencer Burke and co.) and the Scott Mcknights saying: 'Spencer, you're a good guy, but i have to say this to you: Go back to church. Go back to the gospel of Jesus — crucified and raised. Let the whole Bible shape all of your theology. Listen to your critics. Integrate a robust Christology, a robust death-and-resurrection gospel, and a full Trinitarian theology back into your guide to eternity.'

Now those are pretty harsh words, but I'm still trying to figure out what this means. Obviously Spencer Burke still considers himself a part of the emerging church, but if the emerging church is that which Scott McKnight and Ray Anderson think it to be, then I don't see how these two groups can still be considered one entity (i.e. the emerging church).

And think about it this way: how would Paul have responded to the gospel presented by Spencer Burke and co.? I'm all for love and respect, but could it be that Paul would have said: 'let him be eternally condemned' (gal.1:8) and again 'let him be eternally condemned!' (gal.1:9)

I'm just wondering, how tolerant will people in emerging churches be in this respect? I think it will determine the future of this conversation for a great deal...

2 Comments:

Blogger spencer said...

Jesse,

I agree with you that the words Scot used were strong. But what is interesting to me, is the difference between "public" words and "private" words. I can only have one set of words private = public (and if you think you can have it both ways I believe that is magical thinking and creates the cross-wiring of the church today).

I find myself no longer using public language to "please the powers" (my job, friends, publisher or family) anymore. But I am surprised how many still do "need" to protect their position, program and/or funding...

I try to find ways to have both public exchanges over ideas and expressions but I also find it important to grab a beer with those who do not have the freedom to speak "all" of their mind in public.

I would love to have the opportunity to speak to you personally about your post, please email if you get the chance...

9:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesse and Spencer,

Well, I guess I'm addressing what you're saying first, Spencer. While I think you have a point about public versus private words, I really have a hard time making a dichotomy between them, content-wise.

When one speaks to another before others, they must take in consideration the entire context, that is, the hearers present. (I think of Paul rebuking Peter before others, in Galatians). At the same time, in speaking a concern to one privately, yes, the conversation will surely be different. Yet the content must still be the same.

Of course in the private chat one can try to gather better their understanding (or misunderstanding) of the other.

According to Paul's words much is at stake when one starts speaking about the problem of the human condition, and God's good news to remedy that problem.

Good post Jesse. I have to agree.

2:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home