I'm writing my final thesis on the emerging church, my aim is to give most weight to their practical ecclesiology. I would highly appreciate any comments on my work and my thoughts. Thanks!

Saturday, August 19, 2006

2.6 Visual

In Chapter four I will deal with the implications of this aspect of postmodernity, for now it suffices to determine that it’s of utmost importance within Emerging Churches. About the existing, established churches they say: ‘the church is heavily “logocentric” (i.e. word-based), nervous around images, and alienated from its own image-rich pedigree.’ And about contemporary culture in contrast to modern culture: ‘what principles and points were to moderns, metaphors and images are to people in the emerging culture.’[1] Taylor concludes: ‘We have spent many a theological year dining out on God as Word only. (…) We need to compensate by spending many a year tasting of God as image.’[2]

[1] Leonard Sweet, Brian D. McLaren, Jerry Haselmayer, A Is for Abductive pp.152-153
[2] S. Taylor, The Out of Bounds Church,p.62

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home