I'm writing my final thesis on the emerging church, my aim is to give most weight to their practical ecclesiology. I would highly appreciate any comments on my work and my thoughts. Thanks!

Monday, August 14, 2006

Emerging Church or emerging churches

I think I'll change this in my first chapter. I keep on talking about the Emerging Church (capitals, singular) and by doing so stress the unity of the movement. I think it's better to speak about emerging churches (no capitals, plural) to stress the diversity and leave room for exceptions, what do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

I do not entirely agree. Paul writes 'to the church in Ephesus', 'to the church in Corinth' etc. Which implies that there are local entities that are called 'church'. The illustration of 'the body of Christ' to me speaks much more of a local congregation, the different bodyparts representing different members within the local church. (Look at the context, 1 cor.12, written to the corinthians, a local church, in chap.12 it first speaks about gifts and about individuals having certain gifts, then it goes on to use the illustration of the body to show how we all need eachother, it goes on in chap.13 about love being most important, and in chapter 14 we again read about gifts and how these gifts should build up the local congregation.)
I'm still tended to go for emerging churches, because the churches differ so much and 'emerging church' feels more like a denomination imo.
Let me know what you think!:)

8:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home